Me and My Sisters

Me and My Sisters

Monday, March 09, 2009

How I Finally Gave Up My Pacifier

It took a lot of efforts initially. But all were in vain. Daddy rubbed garlic on my pacifier, but I was still sucking away happily. I took my paci to the school, and when I came back, Mommy and Amah told me that my teachers had taken them away. I cried the whole night, and in the end, Mommy asked the teacher to 'return' it to me. Actually, that's their stories, I knew they hid it. But I was ever so cautious since then, because I would not bring my paci to school anymore. Who knows, just in case. So, after school, the first thing that I came to look for when reaching home was none other than my pacifier.

As time went by, I slowly learnt to let go of my pacifier. But I sucked my finger a lot, until the skin peeled off. So Mommy introduced me to the Tooth Fairy. I was told that the Tooth Fairy didn't like children who sucked their finger or the pacifier. She would cut off the finger when they were sleeping. I was afraid, but relieved to find my fingers still intact the next morning. Mommy taught me to write a letter to the Tooth Fairy, telling her what I wanted in return if I gave her my pacifier. It was fun, but still I was not willing to let go.

Then, Mommy told me that she would wait until my 3rd birthday. I got to invite the Tooth Fairy to my birthday party, and gave her my pacifier on that day. In return, the fairy would give me a big bear bear. As the days came nearer, I told Mommy not to invite the tooth fairy. I was not ready.

So, when I was finally 3, I still can't live without my pacifier. But there were some changes in me. I was bold enough to throw it away, right into the dustbin and said - "I never eat my chut chut again!" However, that very night, I cried because I couldn't sleep. So I was given the back-up pacifier.

Time went by.... and then I coughed! It was so terrible until I vomitted when I slept. Amah told me the pacifier was smelly - it caused me to cough. So I agreed to give it up. I threw it into the dustbin myself. Ever since then, I never mentioned about it anymore. I am a big girl now. I didn't cry. But, I couldn't sleep. I skipped my afternoon nap. I didn't have enough rest, so I coughed even more. Then one day, Mommy asked me - why couldn't I sleep. Was it because I missed my pacifier? That triggered it and I burst out! I started to cry and screamed - I wanted my chut chut! I missed my chut chut! It took awhile for Amah to calm me down. She told me that it's me who threw it away, so I have to bear with it.

Well, it's been over 3 weeks now, and I can finally say bye bye to my pacifier. Mommy and Daddy and Amah were all very proud of me. I guessed it's been a long way from the first attempt. Yes, I did it!

3 comments:

Anggie's Journal said...

Hi ...
To wean off pacifier it's really take a long time... my boy on and off still need it ... especially when he is crying for no reason .
But i m glad to say .... is almost there.... 80% off .

BTW, properly u do not know me ... but both of u look so familiar to me, until i thot both of u from PUO ... see see.. i ask my hubby ( William) He said both of u are his classmate in UNI .... aiseh .. no wander look so familiar, i think i saw both of ur photos la back in my Hub Uni time... hihihi

Last.. u have 2 beautiful princess.

Little Salt said...

Dear Irene, do you know the day after i read your blog about Pneumonia, am wondering what is HFMD. The next 2 day, i was told by the doctor - i suspected ur boy is affected by HFMD. Haha :)

Pacifier - it took 2 weeks for me to wean off when my boy was 13 months, but at the end, we still surrendered :(

Cheers
xueping

Pet said...

So clever! Time to move on...

Birthday Tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails